Sunday, February 7, 2010

Couture Love


For some reason I'm feeling burned out on fashion shows. I don't want anything to do with "pre-fall". I need to spend a little time in the present. I did browse some of the couture shows though. There are so few new, it's not much of a time commitment. Jean-Paul Gaultier was my favorite. The whole show was so gorgeous, and the detail were really inspiring. That the thing about couture: people may critisize it for being out-of-reach and out-of-touch, but it's art. It's such a pure expression of the finest design and most skilled artisans. I worry that without couture some of these techniques will dissapear or at least cease to be celebrated. With the detail veiws available on Style.com, I can appreciate the workmanship even on collections that I didn't love, like Chanel. It warms my heart that there are people who can create that beauty.


all images Jean-Paul Gaultier, from style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment