Monday, August 9, 2010

just around the corner...

Today was the third damp grey day in a row. After the gym I walked down Robson Street and every store I went in was doing a major fall overhaul. Of course it made me start thinking. I didn't buy anything, and I'm not in a hurry because it already looks like the summer weather will be back soon, but it doesn't hurt to have a little mental list going, and in my case the list is broken down into thriftable and probably-not-thriftable.

In the first category: yes, I have been swayed by the fact that every magazine seems to have an editorial this month featuring a retro-50's-60's look. I'll look for a full tweed skirt, just below the knee and little blouses, maybe lace. And did anyone else notice all of the socks paired with pointy pumps? Definitely worth trying out if I can do it on the cheap.

In the second category: I need pants. I'm a little smaller than I was last fall and with the exception of jeans, my pants are looking kinda sloppy. I'd love to find a narrow cut pair of pants in brown or dark green with some stretch and interesting top-stitching detail, with an ample rise. I'm pretty picky about basics like this because I know that I'll be wearing them so often. The only other item I'll be keeping my eyes open for: boots. I never buy new boots, but last winter's practical thrifted boots got so much wear that I'm coming around to the idea that boots are a good investment. However, I'll be even more picky about these because I haven't even seen any styles I like yet, and money is always an issue. Not holding my breath for boots.

So, while I'm not ready for fall, I think it's OK to start budgeting for it. Hoping for a half-price day at Value Village soon!

What's on your fall shopping list?

No comments:

Post a Comment