Wednesday, November 16, 2011

plain and simple

So I read a good book, Irma Voth by Miriam Toews, about Mennonites in Mexico, which made me curious about their culture, and I disappeared down the Internet rabbit-hole for several hours.  The best find was the blog Long Hair and Modesty (link on the right).  It features plain dress from such diverse religions as Amish, Mennonite, Muslim, Orthodox Jewish, Catholic and many more.  It's so fascinating to see all the subtle variations, the radical differences, what's OK for some and not OK for others.  Some cultures in which girls are totally covered up seem to be alright with makeup, and some that allow an ankle or an elbow to show are makeup free.  I really want to do some more research.  I mean, why are Hutterites into polka-dotted scarves and pointy shoulders?  What is the significance of pink or baby-blue nuns robes?  I wish there was a class I could take on this.  It's all so interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment