Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Clippity-Clop

I don't know if everyone has already seen these, but they are shoes by a German artist named Iris Schieferstein. She works with parts of dead animals and gives "a new face to death". The hoof shoes in particular seem to be popping up on blogs lately, and of course people mention that they are macabre, or creepy, but I haven't read any comments on the fact that any pair of leather shoes isn't too far away from this. Most of us wear dead animals on our bodies often, we just disguise it better. It reminds me of when people who eat meat are horrified if they see any connection to a real animal on their plate. Or, God forbid, see an animal being slaughtered or butchered before it gets turned into a safe little chicken finger.

But back to the shoes. The porcupine ones are kind of beautiful, and there's something Margiela-esque about the last hoof pair. I don't know if it is possible to really wear them, assuming you wanted to, but it kind of looks like you can. Lady Gaga?




Art? Wearable art? Freakshow? Any opinions?

3 comments:

  1. I would wear them! In fact, I LOVE the third pair with the little 6shooters for heels. So rad. Then again, I am one of those people who has maybe had more experience with knowing where my animal products come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! (catching up all ur blogs!!)

    ReplyDelete