Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Worth another look

When was the last time you watched Natural Born Killers? If, like me, you haven't seen it since it was in theatres in 1994, it might be high time to watch it again. I remember that it was pretty controversial when it came out, and it's still a crazy movie, but I guess it didn't spawn a host of copy cats like people feared. It's kind of like a trippy, frantic music video, and all of the hyper-violence still shocks me, but I loved watching it. For one thing, the music is awesome. I used to have the soundtrack, and I love the Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith, Jane's Addiction, L7 etc. Quite a moment in time. Grade nine, I guess.

Also, the clothes that Juliette Lewis's character, Mallory wears, are so sweet. Kind of little-girl trashy meets cowboy stripper. I love the wedding scene (above) where she has on the floral dress and the long veil and the crimped blond wig. Watching it reminded me what good actors both Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis (and Robert Downey Jr, and Tommy Lee Jones...) are. They don't do many movies, but when they do, those characters really stick in my head. A much better approach to a career than most actors have, I'd say.

Cool car in the movie too. The fact that they drive a 1970 Dodge Challenger legitimized the whole movie for Karl!

No comments:

Post a Comment